Recognizing our school board directors
January 10, 2024
We would like to express our gratitude and recognition for the invaluable service of our dedicated school board directors during School Board Recognition Month.
By the proclamation of the governor, January is the time to acknowledge the selfless commitment and hard work of these elected community members. The La Conner School Board plays a vital role in shaping the lives of our community’s children, making decisions that impact the trajectory of public education in our district.
These individuals, entrusted with the responsibility of managing an annual budget of $12,900,000 for the fiscal year 2023-2024, oversee the education of approximately 490 students, 102 employees and nine buildings within our district. Their dedication and tireless efforts are evident in the challenging decisions they make, the information they sift through and the vision they develop for the future of La Conner School District.
Our school board members are the bridge between our local community and the school district, playing a critical civic role that forms the bedrock of our democracy—public education. Their dedication is instrumental in helping us realize the hopes and dreams we have for the children of La Conner.
As we celebrate School Board Appreciation Month, it is the perfect opportunity to extend our sincere thanks to these committed individuals who contribute to the betterment of our community. The collaborative approach they adopt, working alongside school district staff, showcases their commitment to governance and advocacy, ultimately shaping the educational landscape in Washington state.
Please join us in expressing gratitude to the people who selflessly serve on the La Conner School District Board. Their efforts are commendable and we are fortunate to have such dedicated directors guiding the future of education in our community.
The men and women serving La Conner School District are:
• District 1 Director Alana Quintasket. took her oath of office on Dec. 11, 2023.
• District 2 Director John Agen, took his first oath of office on Dec. 16, 2019.
• District 3 Vice President Jeremy Wilbur, took his first oath of office on Aug. 10, 2020.
• District 4 Director Kim Pedroza, took her first oath of office on March 27, 2023.
• District 5 President Susie Deyo took her first oath of office on March 25, 2019.
• Student Representative Taylor-Rae Cayou, took her oath of office on June 13, 2022.
• Student Representative Josilynn (Josi) Straathof, took her oath of office on June 26, 2023.
For more information about the La Conner School Board: lcsd.wednet.edu/domain/5
My sincere thanks.
Will Makoyiisaaminaa (Nelson) become the La Conner Schools superintendent in July 2021.