Letter to the editor
August 2, 2023
Fire Blanket saves lives
Please share this with your readers!
Several weeks ago, I nearly set my home on fire. I had a three-quart saucepan, with 2 tablespoons of cooking oil, on the gas stove, as part of a recipe in the making. I stepped away from the stove to take care of laundry. Let’s just say I was distracted.
Suddenly the smoke detector went off. I rushed back to the kitchen to a pan on fire, flames nearly 20 inches in the air! Instinct kicked in, as I reached for a Fire Blanket hanging in the pantry. If not for this blanket, I would not have been able to contain the fire. The blanket smothered the flames, and I was able to remove the pan from the house. The smoke alarm continued to blare for the next 30 minutes, with doors and windows open.
Please, for your own safety, purchase fire blankets! One for your kitchen and another for your outside grill! I purchased mine on Amazon. The brand name: “Prepared Hero.” Better yet, order several and give them to your family members and friends.
I have photos of the blanket before and after the fire, as well as the pan.